Tuesday 19 November 2019

VALLEYS - New Album UPDATE

This week, I decided to try to write another track of instrumental music for our latest upcoming film "England: The Dowry of Mary".  It's quite straightforward as I love to think about old England and all things that inspire me.  For the first track I was thinking about Glastonbury Tor.  This week however, I just could not get into it, instead I found myself thinking about other things, "The Man in the High Castle" which we have been watching, melancholy, reflective, significant and emotional. 


Also, the first Jack Reacher novel which really struck me as he spent time in prison and then found out his brother had been murdered.  A lot of my early piano compositions reflect what I was reading at the time, "Larkspur of Charm" is specifically a Nancy Drew book I had just finished.  It still reminds me of it to this day.  Composing music is a great way to become lost in thought.


None of these reflections brought about the desired result of music suitable for the history of England!  In the end, I decided to forget it and go with my inspiration and work on tracks for VALLEYS instead.  Yesterday I wrote a new piece called "Through the Glacial Ice Valley".  It began as a piece for Mary's Dowry, but as it was quite dark I looked at my list of titles and chose a suitable one then wrote the rest of it.  I thoroughly enjoyed it!!  It just goes to show, I should always write what I am inspired to, not force it.

I like to use fantasy art for inspiration.  I found nice Ice glacier photographs but then narrowed my search down to include fantasy art, that way the picture tells a story.  My pieces are based on imagination, telling a story through music.  


This painting tells so much so I could think about the journey of all these ships into the mysterious landscape and what the story behind it all is.  I brought in panpipes and Celtic harps for that sparkle and cold feeling.  It's great, I'm so pleased with it.  At this point I suddenly felt the restraints and the lack of inspiration I have been feeling for many months fall away!!  I felt my old self, how I used to write and I decided that I would really knuckle down and complete this album.


I decided to go back to my other two tracks that I wrote for the upcoming Mary's Dowry film and utilize them in this album too, they can still be used in the film.  Also the two tracks that I wrote for "John Henry Newman" film as I had already extended the first one for use in this album and I love the whole new middle section.  With a few adjustments I have completed 10 tracks for this album and drawn together a lot of titles that have been all over the place waiting for 5 years.  I am currently working on extending and finalizing these pieces ready for the final few brand new compositions which will complete this album at long last.  So inspired.  

No comments:

Post a Comment